I did some A/B testing on the website for Shortcut Media. Well, I think there is clearly a winner. The plan was to let the experiment run for a week, but I guess that is not needed.
Variation 01 is outperforming the original page with 447% and shows a stunning conversion rate of 20%.
The page offers a free QR code generator tool. I already talked about that in an earlier post. In the original version, the generator is on top and below I offer the visitors a (superior) alternative (the product we want to sell). On the variation page, I offer people first the alternative and then the QR code generator. As I had seen before in earlier tests, by simply putting the stuff you want the visitor to click on, on top, conversion increases dramatically. (Seems a bit obvious in retrospect of course).
Here is the winner!
As you might know, with Shortcut Media, we are in the business of making print-media interactive. What does this mean? In a nutshell, we combine print-with-mobile trying to add more value to the print version. As a reader, simply point your phone to any page and the corresponding mobile page will show up.
One way of doing that would be by using QR codes right? It has an URL baked inside and the readers use a scanner to access those pages. We don’t really like QR codes because they are ugly, use up space and quite error-sensitive.
You might know that with our service we offer something much more elegant thanks to the image-recognition technology by kooaba, our mother company. That way, the publisher can add content to any page without having to worry about QR codes and URL’s in an early stage. Oh, and there are much more advantages because linking offline-to-online is only the start of our service…
The problem though, is that – regardless of how beautiful our service is, not every publisher is familiar with it and many of them are still starting out with QR codes. Those publishers are our prospects. Therefore we published a page that offers you to make your own QR code.
For this I used Google Charts. It took me about a day fiddling around to have everything working. The page itself is still a bit ugly and especially the ‘converting-part’ sucks, but right now it should be fine to go out as the (in)famous MVP.
To wake it up we add some AdWords on it for one week. Let’s see if we can get some publishers signing up for a demo. I did some analysis upfront so we have a nice benchmark to see if the effort is paying off.
Together with two partners, we founded a new company called ‘Shortcut Media AG’. The company offers an ‘Interactive Print service’ to publishers of printed media (eg. Newspapers and magazines).
Shortcut Media is a spin-off/sister company of kooaba AG.